Best Camping Gear(Equipment) & Car Rental in Uganda
Best Camping Gear(equipment) & car rental Uganda: Chairs, tables, utensils, Torch, ground tent, form mattresses, sleeping bags, storage box, torch, cutlery.
Car rental with camping gear in Uganda from 4×4 Self Drive Uganda will give you the option to rent our self-drive Camping tour package which will cover all your camping gear needs for your stay in Uganda.
Equip your rented car from 4×4 self Drive Uganda with a rooftop tent and camping gear including form mattresses, camping table, camping chairs, sleeping bags, an ordinary cooler box, or an Electric cooler Box(at an affordable cost) and Kitchen Equipment including saucepans, plates, cutlery, kitchen knives and much more depending on each Client’s demand. An Electric Fridge is rented separately at an affordable cost being discussed with the client.
Camping is the most economical form of safari possible in the Self Drive safari in Ugandan National Parks in Ugandan National Parks that are listed on the adventure Section of the Site. Others call it budget but we believe this can be misleading as you pretty much have everything that one could need for a safari into the Ugandan bush. The budget is up to the individual as to how much he/she wants to spend for their Ugandan Wildlife experience (a detailed list of what is included in our camping Gear that is Hired at 4×4 Self Drive Uganda set up is indicated below).
We ensure that you go on your camping trip with Quality materials.
The right camping equipment can make or break your Camping Safari in Uganda. Hire a Car/Land Cruiser with Camping gear from 4×4 Self Drive Uganda (the Leading Car Rental Agency in Uganda and Rwanda on Self Drive), to reduce the cost of your self-drive Camping safari.
Camping Gear/Equipment List for rental in Uganda
4×4 Self drive Uganda offers a complete set of camping gear including: Tents (dome tent or rooftop tent), Folding foam mattresses, Blankets or sleeping bags, pillows, bedsheets, camping Chairs, camping tables, Cool box (non-electrical), Gas stove and burner, BBQ roaster, cups, plates, bowls, Cooking pots/saucepans, frying pans, Cutlery set with forks, knives, spoons, can opener, cork screw, Coffee percolator, Cutting board, Dish towel, detergent, washing line & pegs, Headlights and solar table lamp.
We can mount Rooftop tents on top of our 4×4 Land cruiser, while ground tents, are more flexible to fit in both Small SUVs like Rav4, Nissan Xtrails, and Land Cruisers. We offer a complete package of quality rooftop tent + full set of camping gear at $20 per day, while dome tent plus camping gear goes for $5 per day.
The Land cruisers for camping safari have enough storage space, which are ideal to fit all camping gear plus your luggage, as well as the rooftop tent.
An n electric fridge costs $5 per day, and can only be rented with a land cruiser or Double Cab. We also remind you that, we neither do field fridge repairs nor send cars when the fridge gets a problem, because of the expensive costs of repair.
Besides, Wiring & piping are always affected by the rough, and bumpy roads, and dust, yet the skills, and equipments to repair the fridge are not always accessible in the field.
We also perceive that the fridge may unfortunately stop functioning (though it rarely happens). Do inform us immediately so that the office can organize to refund at the end of your rental trip
Rooftop tent or Dome Tent Camping in Uganda
Whether you are taking a rooftop tent, or dome tent with your rental car, you are rest assured your camping safari is complete, but keep in mind, that they both have advantages & disadvantages, that is:
A rooftop tent keeps you up above the ground, away from crawling creatures, wet grounds and game animals that strolling around at night.
A rooftop tent is the easiest way to sleep off the ground. This is helpful when your campsite is uneven, the soil is wet or rocky. In wilderness areas, people tend to prefer rooftop tents for putting some distance between themselves and wild animals lurking around at night. While a ground tent keeps you safe only when you have properly zipped your tent.
Booth rooftop & ground tents keep you safe and easy to set up, when inside the National Park or game park/reserve, but most campsites are established & privately owned outside the parks, which is more safae
While the disadvantages are that:
Both rooftop tents plus ground tents, require to be wrapped, every morning after a full night use
Rooftop tents are much more expensive than ground tents, in that rooftop tents have to mounted on either a Land Cruiser or double cab.
More effort is required for one to continuously climb up/down the stares of a rooftop tent, hence more effort is required which maybe uneasy for those who have less physical strength.
Prominent Uganda Campsites:
Apart from the premier hotels distributed allover the country, 4×4 self Drive Uganda lists 5 best campsites in Uganda as
Below is a list of 5 campsites in Uganda we particularly like, although the list is of nice places to stay is endless. Refer to our accommodation page for a complete list of our favourite campsites in Uganda.g
- UWA special campsite for bush camping on the Nile Delta adjacent to Paraa in Murchison Falls National Park.
- Top of the world viewpoint campsite at the Crater Lakes in Fort Portal area
- Enjojo Lodge campsite, in Queen Elizabeth at the Ishasha Sector
- UWA Mweya Public Campsite, in Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Nagusokopire Campsite a great spot for roaring lions, Kidepo Valley National Park
Essential Keys to Know when camping in Uganda
- Available campsites. Uganda has both public & private campsites. Most public campsites found inside National Parks are owned by Uganda Wildlife Authority, while the private camps are situated outside the parks, owned & managed by lodge owners. The private campsites by far, feature facilities such restaurantsm swimming pool among others.
- Campsites owned by UWA, have water, firewood, pit latrines, which all amounts to $50 perperson, while pitching a tent on a private ground costs $10 others may cost as low as $5
- Wild Camping where one wants to sleep among animals is not allowed in Uganda.
- Camping in one of Ugandan campsites, does not require any prior booking or arrangements. You can accessible at anytime of the season
- Bush camping in Uganda is very rare in other National Parks, except Murchison Falls National Park, where UWA can issue a permit to person to pitch his/her own tent on aground without any facilities like toilets, neither toilets
- Always try to find information about the camping grounds in Uganda, before you check in or pitch your tent .
- All camping adventure travelers must download the Maps.me app or iOverlander before getting on the off beaten track of Uganda, to enjoy navigating on a GPS to the campsites.
- Do not block the Hippo paths from the River. Camping with the Hippos is always a greater way to enjoy nature at its best. You are then advisesd not to pitch your tents along which the hippos pass when they come out of the water, because it will scare them, causing them to return to water.
- Ensure not to camp beneath the thorn trees, because they are not comfortable with airbed
- Always ensure there are no food left overs close to your tent, so as to avoid animals from roaming around the tent. Dispose every litter into the bins around, othersise, you can pack them in the car and leave with it.
Remember to pack right, by knowing which places/destinations you will be travelling and spending a night. Places like Fort Portal, Sipi Falls, Lake Bunyonyi settle in the higher altitudes, which requires goodnight covers, that are warmer than the normal sleeping bags.